Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Eve...


Tomorrow is my first Mother's Day, and I am so excited. Last year at this time, I had just found out I was pregnant, and though I still received a few Mother's Day cards and gifts, I certainly didn't feel like a mom. I had this little tadpole inside me, or so I was told, but without anything to show for it - not even an ounce of morning sickness - I barely even felt pregnant. But with the calendar being a 12 month cycle and babies taking 9 months to make their entrance, this year I get to celebrate for real.

Someone told me recently that some Mothers take Mother's Day as a day to themselves, to do with what they please. A trip to the spa, or some child-free shopping. But this strikes me as strange. I want to spend the day with my Jon Jon. I want to cuddle him and kiss his little bald head. I want to feed him a bottle and change his diapers. I want to take him for a stroll in the stroller and watch him see trees in bloom for the first time. But you know what I don't want to do? Anything else. No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry or bills. I don't want to be responsible for anything else but loving my son and soaking it all in. I think that's what Mother's Day should be all about.

I recently said to my husband: "I love being a Mom, I think being a Mom is amazing; and I think being a Mom is easy. It's taking care of the rest of your life, while being a Mom that's the hard part." So tomorrow I want to be an easy a day. I want to spend my time staring into those big blueberry blue eyes and thank Jon Jon for making me a Mom.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there. Everything else can wait until Monday... for now just enjoy the precious gifts that gave you a reason to celebrate Mother's Day in the first place.

1 comment: