Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ebay is a Mom's Best Friend


I am a total Ebay addict! I love it! The bargains, the thrill of the auction and the "presents" that come in the mail thereafter. All in all, a great experience. But as a Mom it's an amazing place to get all the gear you need for you new life with baby. Soon after I got pregnant I starting Ebay stalking Bugaboo strollers - the Mercedes Benz of strollers. Big Jon was horrified when I told him that the limited edition Denim Bugaboo Cameleon I wanted went for a cool $1000! But with some perseverance I found one on Ebay, barely used, for $580! Almost half price! And the great news, is that these strollers are so popular, and hold up so well, that I will probably be able to turn around in sell it to another Mom in a few years when we are done with it.


I've also bought a shamefully large amount of baby clothes on Ebay. New or used, it makes no difference to me - after all, at the rate babies grow out of clothes, you know the used items have not been worn that many times. Cute boys clothes are especially hard to find, and the baby stores at the mall just don't always cut it. But on Ebay you can find great, boutique only brands from all over the country. You can save searches for certain brands you like, and you'll get notified when those items get listed - thus saving you lots of precious searching time. Buying Robeez has been a recent favorite pastime of mine. These fun and colorful leather crib shoes sell for $28 new, but I only paid $12 for my favorite "Mom Tattoo" shoes!


Aside from getting a great deal, I love the idea of "recycling" Mom money. Most of the baby items for sale are coming directly from other moms, who are trying to earn money to buy new gear for their kids. And I have done the same thing. I have sold already outgrown items on Ebay and then used that same money to buy new items for Jon Jon. It helps me out, and it helps other Moms out. And in this economy, who couldn't use a little help? But possible the best thing about Ebay, is that you don't have to take a shower, pack up the baby, find a parking space, fight the crowds and pray that your baby doesn't start screaming, in order to go shopping. You can do it during nap time, while in your bathrobe and slippers, sipping a cup of tea, on the comfort of your sofa. So thanks Ebay for giving Moms a place to exchange their fabulous finds! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some shopping to do - while still in my slippers of course!

2 comments:

  1. I am a total ebay addict, too. And the worst part is that my coworkers have to suffer through it with me - I have all my packages shipped to my office, so they know when I get a new dress, shoes, headphones, etc. It's pretty much the best shopping forum ever. You can't pay retail again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha - Duffy! Luckily, I can get the mail during the day, so Jon doesn't even have to know about half of the stuff ;) Just kidding honey!

    ReplyDelete