Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mommies Are Dangerously Fun

About 8 years ago I had a I'm-in-between-jobs stint in bartending. It was exactly the lighthearted, fast money, kind of job I needed to drag me from the doldrums of management. I was working at a new and trendy martini bar - the kind that college kids would never go to because there were no pitchers or darts in sight. It was for the "discerning, upscale crowd" - or so their ads said. And I often would serve women in their 30's and 40's who seemed like they were having too good of a time. Acting crazy, drinking too much, and dancing like fools. And I'll be the first to admit - they annoyed the crap out of me! Geez - go home and go to bed! I hope I'm not doing that in 10 years! I always made the assumption that these women were single - probably divorcees. Why else would they be out partying at a bar on a Saturday night? Married women would never behave this way - especially not mothers. But oh how wrong I was!

After I was married, I spent most of my weekends snuggled up on the sofa with my hubby. But when I did venture out on the town, I felt a shift in my bar behavior. Suddenly I wasn't there to scope out the opposite sex. I was there purely for my own enjoyment - to throw some heels on, spend time with girlfriends, and have a few cocktails. And I also didn't really care what I did and what people thought of me. Who was I trying to impress? I could dance like a fool, talk to strangers without any ulterior motives, and even throw in a little karaoke from time to time.

Then after I had Jon Jon, I started hanging out with a local mommy group, and we began organizing Mommy's Night Out. Boy - you want to see some silly women out at a bar! After being cooped up in the house all day, I don't even care if the other people at the bar have all their teeth! I want to get out! I want to wash my hair, wear some lip gloss, have a glass of wine, and have some laughs. And wow, do we laugh. There is still a lot of "baby talk", as it is our common bond. But then there are stories of our past, discussions of current events (OMG - John and Kate are getting divorced!!), and somehow it always ends in a little karaoke. Because tomorrow is another day filled with dirty diapers, missed naps, thrown food, and possibly a husband who wants you to cook dinner at the end of it all. So for tonight, we will let loose and enjoy a few hours where no one needs anything from us other than friendship.

It makes me think back to those women at the martini bar who I thought were so crazy and annoying. Maybe they were just moms trying to relive their youth and enjoy their escape from mommy hood for one night. I hope they had fun and that their martinis were yummy, because I get it now. So when the Real Housewives of Windham County, as we like to call ourselves, are out on the town, we may act a little silly and be a little loud. But try not to judge us. Know that we are better mothers for having the chance to blow off some steam. And if you're feeling so inclined - buy us a drink! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment