Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Balancing Act

So I've been a super busy mom lately. Of course if you're a mom and not busy, you're probably doing it wrong (or incredibly right).  I went away the past 2 weekends for some fun and R&R of two totally different kinds.  First I flew down to D.C. for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party; 3 fun filled nights of pure girl time.  We ate, we drank, we shopped, we spa'd, we lounged around watching movies... did I mention we drank? ... we did everything that I no longer do much of being a stay-at-home-mom living in rural Connecticut.

It was a great group of girls, of which only a few were moms.  And I realized that it had been awhile since I spent much time with women who were not also mothers.  My mom group is great, don't get me wrong, and we definitely get out for much needed drinks or dinner on a regular occasion.  But the conversation does often turn to the subject of our kids.  But when you are hanging out with a group of women that the majority do not have kids, the conversation never really turns to children.  It's probably a good thing I didn't  think about this before we went, I would have been nervous that I would have nothing to add to the conversation.  But miraculously I managed to have thoughts and opinions that didn't revolve around my 14 month old son.

Being a mom, especially a stay-at-home-mom, and really especially a mom who blogs about being a mom, can make you feel like you have no other parts of yourself that don't involve being a mom.  But there were so many other great topics of conversation! By the end of the weekend, our most memorable  conversations  revolved around SNL skits, my SIL's neighbor named Putter Johnson, and the Twilight series - not the most intellectual of topics, but wow did we laugh.

Then this past weekend, big Jon, little Jon and I went to visit his Mom and Step-father at their house in New Hampshire.  We always have a great time when visiting NH, and this weekend was no different.  Food, drink and fun are always flowing, and we have nothing we need to worry about other than relaxing and enjoying the company.  I loved being able to spend so much time with my little Jon Jon without all the other responsibilities of every day life.  No one expected me to cook, or clean, and do anything other than hang out.  And so I did.  I got to play blocks, and cars, and practice walking and practice climbing stairs with my little man.  I gave him my undivided attention.  It was such a treat to be able to focus just on being a mom and nothing else.  Quite a difference from my previous weekend.

Having these 2 mini-vacations so close together, reminded me of how important it is to find balance as a mom.  Do I want to spend every weekend getting dressed up and heading out on all night martini-fests? No.  But I also don't want to spend every waking moment thinking about nothing other than my son.  I guess the key is how to find balance in your everyday life.  Mom's are always giving of themselves to their family, taking time for yourself so often goes on the back burner.  Obviously this is not a new concept to anyone - there's probably an article in every Parenting magazine on finding balance in your life.  But lately I've been really getting it.  Am I finding balance on an everyday basis? No.  But I'm aiming for it, and I think it's great goal for any mom to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment