Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mommy Arsenal

In order to survive life as a busy mom, and still look halfway decent, you need to have some quality swag in your arsenal.  Here are some  of my favorites...

Dry Shampoo  A shower can sometimes be hard to come by, especially as a new mom, and I was no different from any other mom in this fact.  I am also not blessed with the type of hair that can do a few days in between shampoos, looking better each day.  Even if I've managed to get in the hsower, my hair looks flat and greasy by the end of the day.  I had heard rumors about the existence of dry shampoo in the past. Then I really heard about it during a brief viewing of I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here when Heidi Montag freaked out because another cast member had stolen her dry shampoo, leaving her an oily mess.  Then over a recent glass of wine, a friend told me that she uses it.  So off to Sephora I went to try it out.  The result - fabulous! My brand of choice, Oscar Blondi .  It actually works great at taking away any greasiness and keeps you looking impossibly fresh for another 12 hours.

Totally Tubular  I don't tend to wear a lot of make-up on a daily basis - but I am not one of those wash and go people.  I still have a minimum number of products that have to grace my face to leave the house, loose powder, blush and mascara.  My latest obsession is Trish McEvoy's lash curling mascara.  All of Trish McEvoy's mascaras utilize new tubes technology - which if you've never heard of it means - it DOES NOT SMUDGE.  This stuff doesn't budge until you decide to remove it with warm water - it doesn't even require soap! When you do take it off, you give your lashes a gentle tug and the mascara pulls off in these weird little tubes that kind of look like tiny black whiskers.  But if you are feeling tired or lazy and don't bother to wash your face before you go to bed, you won't wake up with raccoon eyes, or stained sheets.  You just wake up with mascara still on your lashes! If you don't feel like shelling out $28, L'Oreal also makes a tube mascara that works very nicely and will only cost you about $11.


Vaseline I have a serious love of Vaseline .  I use it for everything! I love it so much in fact that last year for Christmas my mother-in-law gave my a jar of Vaseline the size of a cereal box.  I keep it in my car, in the bathroom, and by my bed.  You can rub it into your heels and cuticles, and glob it on your lips before you go to sleep.  I'll even put it on instead of my under eye cream in a pinch.  I have even heard makeup artists say putting a little on your cheekbones or on your eyelids can give you a lovely glow.  

Your Kid If all else fails, and you're having a bad everything day, dress your kid extra cute and use them as a shield.  I know that if I put Jon Jon in a Gap ad worthy outfit, no one is probably going to notice me anyway.  And if someone unexpectedly grabs a camera, throw on some big sunglasses, a little Vaseline on your lips, and hold your child in front of you.  Picture perfect!


1 comment:

  1. I totally, totally love this... I am actually on Sephora.com right now because I am ordering both the mascara and the dry shampoo!!! I'm so glad I read this because my hair just doesn't look good on the second or third day after I wash it.

    ReplyDelete